Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pistachio and Apple Salad with Gingery Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing


As the tot and I ambled to the nearby park for "lets shovel some sand in the castle-shaped bucket" time, I noticed a lemon wedge.  As did Max.  He politely gave me the used lemon wedge, and I threw it back on the ground, distracting his attention by pointing out the helicopter overhead.  I, of course, did not want to appear ungrateful.

When we actually arrived at the park, I noticed a wedge of lime and a slice of orange.  Used.  Luckily, Max did not notice these and happily began shoveling .  It was strange - finding these lonely remains of fruit scattered on the sidewalks and through the park.  What happened to the rest of these fruits?  Is this a sign that I should be making something with citrus today? Why such variety in citrus?  Is there an outbreak of scurvy?

These questions will forever remain unanswered.  And while this story is rather random and rambly, the mix of pistachio and apple should never be viewed as such.  These aren't two strangers passing through the night.  Pistachio and apple are like two people who just meet, but instantly find that comfortable, well-worn rapport of long time best friends.

I wish I had noticed their amiability before.  Though I have an unfortunate habit of not noticing things around me. I sometimes need to be pulled back from walking into oncoming traffic.

This combo occurred to us one morning while eating a "breakfastable," a morning homage to our beloved Lunchables we delighted in finding in our lunchboxes as kids.  When putting together a "breakfastable," we place crackers, fruit, nuts, cheese, and bacon on the table and have at it. It is during one of these that we discovered the phenomenon of pistachios and apples.

And I took the morning citrus wedge sightings as a sign.  I made a lemony poppy seed dressing with a hint of ginger to coat a salad made with pistachios, apple chunks, mustard greens, arugula, and browned chicken.

Ingredients
1/2 pound chicken breast, chopped
kosher salt
freshly ground pepper
ground ginger

2 cups mustard greens
2 cups spinach
2 cups arugula
2 minced celery stalks
1-2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup roasted and salted pistachios
1 Granny Smith apple, chopped
sprinkling of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons honey
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
black pepper, to taste

Instructions
Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and some ground ginger.  Place canola oil in pan over medium high heat and add chicken.  Brown the sides, and take off heat once the chicken has cooked through.

In a big bowl, toss cooked chicken, mustard greens, spinach, arugula, celery, Parmesan, pistachios, and apple.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, poppy seeds, salt, mustard, honey, ginger, and black pepper.  Pour desired amount of dressing over the salad and toss to coat.

12 comments:

  1. That dressing sounds heavenly. Apples and pistachios; who'da thunk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would kill for this salad for lunch today--it looks salty, sweet and crunchy. Truly strange about those citrus peels in the park!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a lovely dressing:). Pistachios and Apples make a nice pair???...I didnt know about that. Shud try them. Also I wudnt have thought about adding Pistachios in a salad. Thats a great idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're kidding! Pistachios in a salad---this is great and I can't wait to tell my pistachio-loving SIL about it! Cool! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dressing sounds amazing! Love the addition of pistachios! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving the flavors in the dressing... Pistachios are my favorite, this salad sounds prefect. ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, your gingery lemon poppy seed dressing sounds fresh and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds wonderful, Jenn! I have a couple bags of pistachios in the freezer and I should start adding them to my salads...along with apples...and with your yummy citrus dressing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so weird about the citrus all over! I guess people are eating it more now...but you wouldn't just snack on lemons and limes in the park. Hmm. EIther way I"m glad they convinced you to make this salad! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great mix of flavors with the greens. I love poppy seed dressing, and it sounds perfect with the apple and pistachio.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious flavors going on here!Love the sweet and salty poppy seed dressing too!!YUMM...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...